I also made the masks a lot bigger than I have in the past, using a full page of large tagboard (18 x 24) for each mask.
This is a 2-3 day project.
Supplies: tacky glue, tagboard, pencils & erasers, tempera paint, scissors, hole-punch, and all or a few of the following: feathers, popsicle sticks, yarn, raffia, corn husks, string, whatever!
2. One-on-one, I went around the room and helped each student sketch their chosen shape onto a large folded piece of tagboard. I left them to cut it out (but asked that they save the scraps).
3. Next, students "broke up the space" on their masks by creating symmetrical designs and geometric patterns using a pencil and a ruler. (Important: no noses, eyes, or mouths should be added or drawn on yet).
4. Students painted in the shapes between their pencil lines. My only rule: No black!
5. While these dried, I had students sketch out noses, eyes, a mouth, and ears on the left over scraps (some will not have enough, and need extra tagboard).
6. After I checked each student's facial pieces (quite a few were too small and had to be re-drawn), they were allowed to paint them.
7. While the facial features dried, I had students get their masks back out and (using a small brush) paint over all their pencil lines with black paint.
8. Students also outlined their facial features with black paint.
9. Finally, they cut out their facial features and we glued it all together!
10. Lastly (once the masks were completely dry), we added: feathers, yarn, popsicle sticks, corn husks, or raffia. My rule: every mask needed at least two of these "extra elements."
Yarn was added by hole punching the bottom and tying the yarn or raffia through the holes. Some chose to braid their yarn strings.
Feathers, popsicle sticks, and corn husks were glued on the back using tacky glue. Some students chose to add horns as well.
This was one of my more popular projects this summer, and overall, students were exceptionally pleased with the finished product.